In this message we have:
- The latest bat group bulletin
- A new milestone for SBG membership
- A reminder of the status of SBG events, and our strategies to protect bats
Bat group bulletin
Included in this bulletin are:
- BCT Have Moved.
- Reminder of COVID-19 Special Edition Bulletin.
- BatFest is Underway!
- BatFest Nominations.
- Bat Worker Forum Happening Soon
- Bat Earned Recognition Pilot Update.
- Help Sequence Bat Genomes.
- Biodiversity Metric V3 from Natural England.
- Rabies Pre-Exposure Vaccination Guidance.
- Halloween Fundraising Pack.
- All Our Fundraising Marathon Runners.
- Key Dates for Your Diary.
- Bat Research Papers, Reports & Other Batty Media.
A new milestone for SBG!
For the first time our bat group has a three figure number of members! Yesterday the 100th member to join or renew membership in 2012 did so. In addition to the ton up, we have another 32 members who last joined in 2020, who we did not ask to renew in 2021.
Our previous highest yearly membership was 86 at the height of the big bat surveys in 2011/12.
CURRENT STATUS OF BAT EVENTS IN SOMERSET
EVENTS WITH NO CLOSE CONTACT WITH BATS
These include Bat Walks and Talks, external Acoustic and Visual Surveys
Current Status (July 2021 onwards) – Green, no restrictions apply. Events with no close bat contact can proceed according to national and local restrictions. In line with government guidance we ask all attendees to events to apply “hands, face, space” and to wear a mask when in enclosed or confined spaces.
EVENTS WITH CLOSE CONTACT WITH BATS
These include: Bat box checks, trapping and internal bat roost visits.
Current Status (August 2021 onwards) – Amber, Medium Risk. Events with close bat contact can proceed with caution, and use the protect strategies to mitigate risk.