Before the Big Bat Count night
Please join the “Somerset Big Bat Count” project in the iNaturalist App on your Apple iOS phone:
- In the iNaturalist App, tap the green “Projects” button in the bottom right of the screen
- In the Projects screen, tap the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the “Search for projects named …” box at the top of the screen type Somerset Big Bat Count
- Tap Somerset Big Bat Count when it appears below the search box
- You should see a screen with bat records in the bottom half. Click the small grey “Join” button to the left just above the bat records.
- Check this button has changed to “Leave”, this confirms you have successfully joined the group. Sorry, it is a very small button.
- To return home tap the top right back arrow once, then tap Explore at the bottom of the screen to see local records.
Recording bat records to iNaturalist during the count
Below is how to record the bat species in the iNaturalist app on an Apple iOS phone:
- In the iNaturalist App, tap the grey “Observe” button at the bottom middle of the screen.
- Select “No Photo” from the menu that slides up from the bottom of the screen.
- Start typing the full name of the bat into the “What did you see?” box at the top of the screen using the “name in iNaturalist” from the supplied species lookup table.
- Tap the desired Bat species when that appears below.
- If the phone does not have an internet connection, the species lookup in iNaturalist will not work, hence type the full species name in iNaturalist into the box manually.
- On return to the “Details” screen, there is no need to select the Project as your observations go into all the projects you have joined if they meet the criteria of the project.
- Tap the green rectangular “share” button at the bottom of the screen to submit the new observation to the iNaturalist database