Saturday 25th February 2017 – 2pm to 4.30pm
At Somerset Wildlife Trust, 34 Wellington Rd, Taunton, TA1 5AW
- 2pm – meet Coffee
- 2.30pm – Routes to the River Tone Project Finale update – Nick Tomlinson (SWT Project Officer). How you can stay involved in local bat projects, now project has finished.
- 3.30pm – Update from Bat Conservation Trust Helpline Officer Olivia Morton on work of BCT.
Find out about projects Somerset Bat Group are planning this year and the programme to date.
Sat 25th March – SW Bat Conference with Bat Conservation Trust
A day of lectures/workshops/bat research topics and networking
with all SW bat workers. Booking: – bats.org.uk
- 9.30-4pm – Petroc College, Tiverton, Devon
Wed 19th April 2017 – 7.30pm – SWT Trainees Bat walk
Cheddar – A few bat group members welcome to assist (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cheddar car park below caves
- Leader: Dave Cottle
Saturday 29th April 2017 2.00pm – 4.30pm – AGM
at Callow Rock SWT Offices, Shipham Road, Cheddar. BS27 3DQ
Membership subs due £5 per household.
- Updates on Somerset Bat Group projects for 2017, find out how to join in/sign up.
- Guest speaker – Jim Mulholland (Avon Bat Group) – Bats and trees research project.
- Tea and Cake
Fri 19th May 2017 – 8pm Bat walk in Vallis Vale, near Frome.
Short walk along the River Mells and Egford Brook in Vallis Vale. Meet Egford Lane car park.. Bat group members support for public walk please.
- Leader: Adel Avery
- Booking: somersetwildlife.org 01823 652400
Sat 27th May 10am-3.30pm – Bat Box checks
Bat box checks at Westhay, Catcott SWT reserves, Shapwick Heath & Canada Farm (NE)
- Leader: Paul Kennedy 01823 652749 / 0781 2442631 email:email@example.com
- All day event, packed lunch
31st May to mid June – NBMP Surveys
National Bat Monitoring Program. BCT Roost count surveys for Lesser Horseshoe, Pipistrelle and Serotine. Contact Peter Gulliver if you wish to volunteer to join a team or know a roost to count near you.
- Details: bats.org.uk
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Various Roosts across Somerset
July – NBMP Field Surveys
National Bat Monitoring Program. BCT Field Surveys. Take on your own survey transect.
- http://www.bats.org.uk for details and sign up.
Fri 21st July 7.30-12.00pm – Blackdowns Bat Surveys/Walks
- Booking SercRecords@somerc.com, ring 01823 652424
- Otterford Parish Hall, in Bishopswood, TA20 3RS
Fri 28th July 2017 8.30 > 10.45pm – Shapwick Heath NNR walk
Natural England Bat walk, public event, bat group support needed.
- Leader: Paul Kennedy email@example.com
- Meet: Avalon Marshes centre, Westhay, ST426 413
Fri 4th August 7.30pm > 11.30pm – BRUE VALLEY BIG BAT SURVEY
Fifth year of surveying the Avalon Marshes near Glastonbury. We are aiming to re-survey at least 8 transects which havn’t been recorded more than once or twice. Members needed to lead a transect or volunteer to join a team.
- Details TBC
- Booking: SercRecords@somerc.com
- Meet: Avalon Marshes centre, Westhay ST426 413
Tues 22nd August 2017 7.45-10.30pm – Wells Bat Walk
For Wells and Mendip SWT group, walk round Bishop’s Palace, Wells. Public event, bat group support welcome, email leader if attending.
- Meet: by gatehouse over moat.
- Leader: David Cottle (01749 674257) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bishop’s Palace, Wells, BA52PD, parking nearby Market Square or Silver St.
Sat 9th Sept 7.15pm – Bat walk – Cheddar Gorge
SWT Mendip Hills group/Ged Keele. Bat group members welcome to join in/assist.
- Leader: Dave Cottle email: email@example.com
- Parking in Cheddar Gorge, above Caves or lower down gorge. (free in eves).
- Meet by Show Caves top of gorge.
Fri 15th Sept 2017 7.30 > 9.30pm – Frome Bat Walk
Frome , Frome Outdoor Open Spaces Group event at Welshmill Park, Frome. Bat group members support welcome, please email Adel if attending. £2 pp. (non members)
- Leader: Adel Avery – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet: Cheese and Grain Car Park by Canoe Club in Frome.
Saturday 23rd September (tbc) 10am – Bat Box checks
At both Ham Wall & Shapwick Heath NNR
- Leader: Paul Kennedy 01823 652749/0781 2442631
- Meet: Ham Wall/Shapwick car park (Ashcott Corner) Grid Ref ST449 397
Sat 21 st Oct 10am-3pm. Bat Box Checks
Harridge Woods & Edford Woods SWT Reserves In East Mendips. All day bring snacks/drinks/wellies as it can be wet.
- Leader Adel Avery – email: email@example.com
- Harridge Woods, ST648 484, BA3 5AA at Nettlebridge, 1 mile from Oakhill on A367.