Upcoming Bat Group events
Our calendar for upcoming events is below, we will be adding details throughout the year so please do check back.
Click here photos and blog from recent events, and see what we have been up to!
NBMP Winter Hibernation Counts – December to March
Licenced bat workers carry out surveys of hibernation sites from December to March each year. More details about the hibernation survey on BCTs website
Keep an eye on our Facebook group, for more surveyors requesting help. The current requests for help are:
- Burrington Combe, three spaces on each, (2nd Dec update – all dates fully booked), contact Pete Banfield.
- 8th December 2019
- 5th January 2020
- 9th February 2020
- Taunton Police Station Tunnels in January and February 2020 (TBC) contact Cath Shellswell if interested. Priority given to VBRV trainees.
- Several visits to Keepers Cottage Bat house, Harridge Woods, contact Adel Avery for details.
AGM – Saturday 25th April 2020 – Location TBC
Come find about our plans for the year, and have a say in the running of the group.
- Membership subs for coming year are due – £5 per household.
- Guest speaker, Tea and Cake
- 2 to 4:30 PM Location to be confirmed but possibly Taunton way
Bat Box checks Taunton – Sat in May 2020
Checking the boxes in Comeytrowe Park and Longrun Meadow, Taunton. Contact Cath Shellswell if attending
Levels Bat Box checks – Sat in April/May 2020
Checking bat boxes in Westhay, Catcott SWT reserves, Shapwick Heath & Canada Farm (NE). Last year we found the earliest pups in the country, what will this year bring?
- Contact leader if coming: Paul Kennedy
- 10am > 3pm. All day event, bring packed lunch.
- Westhay SWT, Daggs Lane Drove ST456437/Catcott SWT ST399414
For many years, lots of group members have collected and contributed data to these national monitoring programs run by the BCT. Each survey site is allocated to a experienced bat worker, and in many cases they need lots of help. Hence there any many opportunities learn more while doing you bit to help bat conservation.
The surveys happen at the same time every year, so watch out for the emails and facebook messages nearer the time for details of when, where and who the lead contact is:
- Sunset emergent counts at roosts across Somerset – more details
- Monitoring noctule, serotine, common pipistrelle and soprano pipistrelle.
- Two 1km recording walks, starting 20mins after sunset. – more details
- Monitoring barbastelles at sites designated as Special Areas of Conservation.
- One hour recording transects in mature broadleaved Somerset woodlands.
- Monitoring activity of Daubenton’s bats along Somersets waterways.
- Two waterside recording walks, starting 40mins after sunset – more details
Wells Bat Walk – Tues 25th August and Tues 1st Sept 2020
Dave’s hugely popular walk for Wells and Mendip SWT group, round Bishop’s Palace, Wells. Public event, but due to the huge numbers attending bat group support welcome. email leader if coming to help. Due to the numbers split over 2 nights this year.
- Approx. 8 to 10pm Meet: by gatehouse over moat.
- Leader: Dave Cottle (01749 674257)
- Bishop’s Palace, Wells, BA5 2PD, parking nearby Market Square or Silver St.
Frome Bat Walk – Sat in early September 2020
Another popular public walk this time lead by Adel for Frome Outdoor Open Spaces Group event at Welshmill Park, Frome. Bat group members support welcome, please email Adel if attending. £2 pp. (non members)
- 7pm for 7:15 start, to 9 pm ish
- Leader: Adel Avery
- Meet: Cheese and Grain Car Park by Canoe Club in Frome.
Bat Box checks Taunton – Sat in Sept 2020
Checking the boxes in Comeytrowe Park and Longrun Meadow, Taunton. Contact Cath Shellswell if attending.
Bat Box Checks – Saturday in October 2019
Great Breach Wood for the morning visit. For the afternoon we’ll visit Ham Wall/Loxton’s Plot Expect to see some Soprano pips, plus random bonus other species if we’re really lucky. And a nice walk through the trees!
- Contact Leader: Paul Kennedy 0757 2594096
Harridge Bat Box Checks – Saturday in late 2020 (tbc)
Probably starting in Edford before moving on to Harridge. We regularly find a few Noctules which seem to over-winter in their box.