Current Status of bat events in Somerset
Events with no close contact with Bats
These include bat walks and talks, external acoustic and visual surveys.
Current Status (July 2021 onwards) – Green, no restrictions apply. Events with no close bat contact can proceed according to national and local restrictions. In line with government guidance we ask all attendees to events to apply “hands, face, space” and to wear a mask when in enclosed or confined spaces.
Events with close contact with bats
These include bat box checks, trapping and internal bat roost visits.
Current Status (Jan 2022 onwards) – Amber, Medium Risk. Events with close bat contact can proceed with caution, and use the protect strategies to mitigate risk.
Jan 2022 event update
Sadly, the Covid-19 community infection rate is still very high in Somerset. While some bat contact events are ongoing, these are usually limited to leaders and one or two others, and hence we are not publicising any winter 21/2 events here currently, but plan to do so soon.
Sat 5th February – ‘Bats’ talk by Daniel Hargreaves
Bat group member Daniel Hargreaves will be presenting his “Bats” talk to Wells Natural History & Archaeological Society meeting on Saturday 5th February at 2.30 pm in Wells & Mendip Museum, and on Zoom.
Daniel has spent many years taking part or organising bat projects both in this country and abroad. His photographs have appeared in the national press and on programmes like Spring Watch.
- Cost £2.00 for non Members of WNHAS.
- Refreshments will be served before the meeting after 2.00 pm.
- If preferred, there will also be a Zoom link to the meeting.
- Please contact Dave Cottle at email@example.com to book a place, stating whether you wish to attend or would like the Zoom link.
- Payment can be made direct by BACs to the bat group account once Dave has confirmed booking. Bank details: https://somersetbat.group/support/donate/
30th April 2022 – Bat Group AGM 2022
We hope to meet in person in 2022, in Othery Village Hall, central Somerset
- Sat 30th April @ 2PM
- Othery Village Hall, Fore Street, Othery, Somerset TA7 0QU
- Google Map link – OS map link
If you would prefer not to attend in person, we hope to the stream the meeting via Zoom:
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83014761415?pwd=VnN1OGI0Mm5TMlZTcktJc0tJeDQwdz09
- Meeting ID: 830 1476 1415
- Passcode: 894560
Radio Tracking training day – April/May 2022
Full day classroom session for those volunteering to help out with radio tracking Bechstein’s bat in July.
- Location and booking details to follow
Radio Tracking Bechstein’s BAt – early May and July 2022
Joint project with Dorset Bat group in mid Somerset as part of the Bechstein’s “finding its limit” project. Our Chair Paul says “It’s gonna be aaaammmaaaazing!”
- Lots of volunteers required, willing to stay up for one or two nights during the weeks tracking.
- As it is “all night”, volunteers are expected not to go to work the following day.
- Volunteers will need to be fully paid up SBG or DBG members to be covered by Third Party Insurance
- More details, and how to volunteer to be published nearer the date.