On 1st July 2020, the Bat Group made the following update on future events:
- We will be carrying out some acoustic surveys on an individual or small group basis this summer 2020. This includes the NBMP Field and Waterways Surveys and possibly Landscape surveys. These will be done according to the guidance issued by the BCT.
- As none of the bat groups work can be considered “essential”, we will not be carrying out any events that involve possible contact with bats. This includes, bat box checks, trapping, internal roost or cave visits. This is in line with DEFRA’s guidance to the BCT, which is guided by the IUCN advice, that there is a “credible risk” of human to bat Covid-19 transmission. This is likely to be the situation for the foreseeable future.
(Note: Bat Care has separate guidance, and may continue.)
- We will not be holding any public events this year. This includes bat walks, talks, advice or training events. This is due to the uncertainty of what restrictions will be in place over the coming months, and also because many of the groups key organisers have reasons to remain shielded.
Bat Box Checks – Saturday in October 2020 – cancelled
Great Breach Wood for the morning visit. For the afternoon we’ll visit Ham Wall/Loxton’s Plot Expect to see some Soprano pips, plus random bonus other species if we’re really lucky. And a nice walk through the trees!
- Contact Leader: Paul Kennedy 0757 2594096
Bat ID training course – Sat 21st Nov 2020 – POSTPONED
Come meet Dave’s extensive collection of mummified Bats! Afternoon training course, looking at how to identify bat species.
- Cost £5 – further details, and booking form to follow nearer date
- Trainer – Dave Cottle. Tea and Cake
- 1:30 to 4 PM – Othery Village Hall, Fore Street, Othery, Bridgwater TA7 0QS
Harridge Bat Box Checks – Saturday in late 2020 (tbc)– cancelled
Probably starting in Edford before moving on to Harridge. We regularly find a few Noctules which seem to over-winter in their box.