In this message we have:
- The second part of our Bechstein’s Radio Tracking is coming up, starting 25th July
- The latest news on our Big Bat Count in Taunton on 26th August
- We’re now enabling community Big Bat Counts!
- Can you help with local bat surveys?
- The latest Bat Group Bulletin
- An update on bat group membership
Bechstein’s Radio Tracking
The second of two tracking periods are coming up for this exciting project – 25th July to 1st August for post-breeding. Five were tracked last time, how many will we catch this time?
This is a joint project with Dorset Bat group as part of the Bechstein’s “finding its limit” project. Our target wood is once again Swell Wood RSPB reserve near Fivehead off the A378.
Please contact Paul, if you are interested in getting involved.
Big Bat Count Taunton
Plans are now well underway for our part of the Great Somerset Wildlife Count, on 26th August.
- Maps are drawn up
- Comms planned, graphics appearing
- Tickets are ready to go out
It’s all happening! Lots of help from bat group members would be very welcome. Contact us, if you would like to help out on the night
Community Bat Counts
Are you part of, or do you know of, a Community Group that might like to do a bat survey of their local patch? If so, then the bat group now have the tools to make it happen!
Thanks to funding from SERC the group now has 10 Echo Meter Touch 2 (EMT2) devices, and tablets to go with them.
So if you know of Wildlife, Gardening, Church, Guides (… etc) groups, or just groups of friends or neighbours who would like help to do a Big Bat Count on their patch, then please do ask them to get in touch – firstname.lastname@example.org
Can you help locally?
As a bat group we get many requests for help with local bat surveys. Below are some of the requests from this month. Could anyone nearby help with some knowledge? Let us know if so, and we’ll pass you the details.
- Churchyard in Lopen, South Somerset, TA13
- Hurstone woods, Waterrow, TA4 – sale of former LNR
- South Brewham, east of Burton – Private land
BAT GROUP BULLETIN
Please find below a link to the latest bat group bulletin includes news about another new EBLV-1 serotine in Dorset:
SBG Membership update
As the season progresses, as of July 9th, we currently have:
- 93 members emails in the current 2022/3 group
- 56 members emails in the lapsed 2021/22 group, for who this message will be their last reminder to renew this year
- 26 members emails in the lapsed 2020/21 group, for who this will be their last message unless they renew