In this February bat group newsletter, we have:
- Renewal time for your bat group membership.
- We’re coming out of hibernation! We have lots of batty events coming up.
- Rescheduled to 18th March, an online talk on Greater Horseshoes in Somerset.
- The latest bat group bulletin, which includes a request for help with the Volunteer Bat Care Helpline
- Come along to our AGM – Sat 22nd April at Otherly Village hall and Zoom.
- We still need you on the bat group committee! We are looking for a new Secretary.
Renewal time for YOUR BAT GROUP MEMBERSHIP
All bat group memberships lapse at our AGM each year. So if you last paid your bat group membership:
- In 2023 (or late 2022), or paid for multi-years, then your bat group membership is up to date until our 2024 AGM on 27th April 2024. There is no need to do anything.
- In 2022, then your membership expires soon, on 22nd April 2023. Please renew now.
- In 2021, (or earlier if you took advantage of free renewals during Covid), then your bat group membership has lapsed. You will get no more email reminders from the bat group, hence this is your last chance, please re-join now.
We email all past and present members, to let everyone know the status of their SBG membership.
To renew or re-join the bat group please go to our website: https://somersetbat.group/join/
- Arrange for payment of your £5 per household subs (free for unwaged). You can do this via bank transfer (BaCs), or Paypal.
- Complete the simple smart online application form, and ensure you click the final submit button. If you don’t receive a nearly instant email confirmation of the details you submitted then it is possible the form was not saved (submitted) and we haven’t got your details. Please try again
Remember, bat group members are the first to hear about our events, via our monthly email newsletter.
Lots of Bat Group events coming up!
Hibernation is coming to an end, and it is promising to be a busy year for the bat group. A summary of the early season events currently planned is below:
- Sat 18th March @ 2PM – Online talk on greater horseshoes in Somerset (rescheduled see below)
- Sat 25th March – South West regional bat conference
- Sat 22nd April @2PM – Bat Group Annual General Meeting
- Sat 22nd April @ 7:30PM – Yeovil Big Bat Count for Earth Day
- Mon 8th May @ 8PM – Drayton Big Bat Count
- Fri 12th May @ 8PM – Frome Big Bat Count
- Fri 19th May @ 8:15PM – Buckland St Mary Big Bat Count
- Sat 20th May @ 10AM – Great Breach Wood and Ham Wall Bat Box checks
- Sun 21st May @ 11AM – Harridge Woods Bat Boxes, and possibly Keepers Bat house checks
- Sat 27th May @ 10:30AM – Levels Bat Box checks
- Sun 28th May @ 11AM – Edford Woods Bat Boxes, and possibly Wadbury Bat house checks
For details on how to join these events please see the Upcoming Events page on our website: https://somersetbat.group/events/upcoming/
TALK – GREATER HORSESHOES IN SOMERSET – SAT MARCH 18TH
We have rescheduled this talk to avoid a clash with the SW Bat Conference.
Researcher Tom Foxley from the Ecology and Conservation Research Lab at the University of the West of England will present his research on Greater Horseshoes across greater Somerset.
A novel, integrated approach to landscape-level strategic conservation planning for the greater horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus ferrumequinum) in Somerset
“The aim of my PhD research is to build a detailed picture of how greater horseshoe bats use the landscape in Somerset. I’m using spatial modelling, ground-truthed with acoustic and telemetry studies, to map areas of important habitat and understand how they connect. I will be providing my results to local authorities in Somerset, enabling local decision makers to develop a regional conservation strategy that minimises the impact of development on greater horseshoe bats.”
- 2PM on Sat 18th March (date revised from 25th, and Teams meeting updated)
- An online Microsoft Teams meeting, join on your computer, mobile app or room device
- Click here to join the meeting
- Meeting ID: 348 998 540 574
- Passcode: vmMvGX
- Download Teams or Join on the web
BAT GROUP BULLETIN
The latest edition includes essential updates on two new projects, a request for help with the Volunteer Bat Care Helpline and much, much more:
BAT GROUP Annual Metting – 22ND APRIL 2023
A reminder that we are hosting our 2023 AGM, in Othery Village Hall again, central Somerset
- Sat 22nd April @ 2PM
- Othery Village Hall, Fore Street, Othery, Somerset TA7 0QU
- Google Map link – OS map link
If you would prefer not to attend in person, we hope to stream the meeting via Zoom.
- Meeting ID: 840 2820 2085
- Passcode: 294417
However, it is worth pointing out, that as we found last year, trying to Zoom a meeting where many people in the same room are all online, can be a frustrating (and deafening) view. Hence please do come along in person if you would like to fully contribute
Agenda, accounts and committee pre-meeting reports will be posted here in the first week of April 2023.
Last years 2022 AGM minutes and accounts can also be found on the same page
If you would like to:
- raise any matter as AOB at the AGM,
- stand for the committee of SBG,
- or send your apologies if you can’t attend
Then please email us before 1st April 2023: firstname.lastname@example.org
We NEED YOU ON THE BAT GROUP COMMITTEE!
A huge welcome and thank you to Danielle Smith who has recently taken on the role of NBMP Champion for the Group.
However, there is always more to do in the bat world than hours in the day, and hence we are always looking for keen people to come forward to help out on the SBG committee.
At a minimum this can be a very low commitment:
- One annual committee meeting each January, to plan the year ahead.
- One or two committee emails a week, for the committee’s input.
However, if you have more time, then there is a lot more to get involved in! With a key role currently being vacant:
- We need a new Secretary, and you can find out all about the role here. This role might be suitable for a job share, perhaps if one person was interested in the socials and communication (email/web) side of the role, it could easily be split with another person.
If you would like to join the committee, please do email us before the AGM – somersetbatgroup@somersetbatgroup